The Worship Committee is made up of representatives in each year group that have been elected by their peers. Their primary aim is to develop children’s leadership of worship and improve the quality and delivery of worship for all at our school.
Collective Worship is defined by the children of the Worship Committee at St James’ as,
“During Worship we learn new things every day. We look at the School values and put them into our own lives. We learn about Christianity and other religions and their special times. It is a time for everyone to celebrate and be together.”
St James’ Worship Committee, March 2021
The Worship Committee:
- Help to plan the Worship timetable as well as evaluating daily worship.
- Lead their own Collective Worship based on school values.
- Plan and take part in Worship themes to reflect the Church Year.
- Support and lead Church Services.
- Choose hymns for worship.
- Help their classes update their reflection tables in line with worship themes.
- Encourage pupils to use prayer areas and have opportunities to pray spontaneously.
- Attend courses and conferences about good practice in worship through Blackburn Diocese and relay this back to pupils in school.
Their main aims this year are to raise the profile of Class Worships, with a wider range of pupils leading and planning worship. The Worship Committee also want to ensure pupils across school revisit the school’s vision and mission statements in everything that they do.
The current school prayer, written by a pupil, is:
The Worship Committee have been working with our linking schools The Redeemer, Blackburn and St Stephen's, Tockholes to plan our Easter Celebrations in School. The representatives met each other to share each other's Easter Celebration ideas and plan these across all 3 schools. They have planned a pass the parcel for EYFS, designing a cross to give to each other's schools and activities that will deepen the children's understanding of Easter during a Celebration Week in each of the schools. The committees are looking forward to sharing the outcomes!