Physical Education, Physical Activity and Sport are very important to us at St James.' All young people should have the opportunity to live healthy and active lifestyles. A positive early experience in sport and physical activity at a young age can build a lifetime habit of participation. We believe that physical abiltiy and sport can help the holistic development of a child and support their well-being and therefore encourage children to have access to physical activity and sport at school.
It was first announced in 2013 that the government would be providing funding for physical education and school sport. We started to receive this funding from September 2014. Schools must use the funding to make additional and sustained improvements to the quality of Physical Education, physical activity and the sport they provide. The funding should be used to secure improvements in 5 key indicators:
- Engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity
- Profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport